Now that Fashion Week is over, style editors have a chance to sit back, breathe and examine each collection to decide on the trendiest of all trends for the coming season.
Lucky for you, we’re doing all the work. So, you get to enjoy the trends and highlights of Fashion Week on us! We’re examining the trends that we saw from runway to runway and focusing on the ones that can be worn in your day-to-day life, because face it, not all the runway looks can be replicated in the office or out with friends.
Here are our favorite trends from New York Fashion Week 2013 and how to wear them in your regular life:
1. Military Bottoms: These are not your usual skinny army cargo pants. These have some room for movement and are made with a lighter textile. Rebecca Taylor and Rag & Bone both showed the new military-esque pants.
2. Folk for Days: Floral-patterned embroidery was seen on the models of Prabal Gurung and Suno. The bright tone of this aesthetic is a welcomed change from this winter’s darker hues. Well, almost. Most of the floral patchwork was sewn atop of black dresses or dark green suits making the contrast between the colors a splendid site.
3. Overexposed Prints: These tech-created prints look like sunspots, bleach stains and bits of overexposed in a photograph. The sun-kissed looks were seen all over from Creatures of Comfort to Rachel Comey. This fun take on print-making makes wearing a dress with a peek-a-boo ray of sunshine feel warm and perfect for the spring and summer seasons.
4. Quilt-Making: Quilting was seen on everything from skirts to coats this season. It reminds me of those classic Chanel bags, but less pronounced. On the 2013 runways, leather dresses and skirts were a quilting favorite. The new quilting is more subtle and was best utilized by Elizabeth and James, Theyskens’ Theory and DKNY.
5. Sexy Sweatpants: This must sound crazy. How, how can sweatpants be any kind of sexy? Well, they can when the pants are leather. Everyone needs a break from skinny pants and leather sweats are a great new shape for pants. Not to mention, they look awesome with booties. Who did it best? J Brand, Christian Siriano and Charlotte Ronson all featured a look reminiscent of a bad girl in gym class. Don’t knock it before you try it!
Which of these trends are you eager to try and which are you going to skip? See you after London Fashion Week and Milan Fashion Week when we have more fashion week trends to show you.